Monday, October 20, 2014

AGLCA Rendezvous and back through the Wilson Lock.... Oh Oh.

Good People:
Passerby boat, hailed us while they passed by,
asked for our email, then sent this.
Good People of the world.

Sunset on the TennTom at Five Fingers
The rendezvous was very good, we had a great time meeting new loopers and reacquainting with others.  It was especially nice to see Eddy and Linda Johansen from Florida again.  We met Eddy, last year when he slipped at Petoskey.  He  provided so much information then and spoon fed us this week, with much more information.  His presentation was the panhandle to the Keys and he knows his stuff.  Eddy will replace Tom Conrad with the weather reports for the "crossing" of the "bend" (Florida, panhandle where loopers typically do not follow the shore).

Vicki fell into a cotton patch,
and came back with this on.
That is real raw cotton.

Friends,
Dave and Michele Sylver (Just Us)

Friends
Connie and Jim Gillett (Patriot)

Yes, a sink with a faucet
(remember, Alabama)

Inside the Cotton Gin
An event at the rendezvous was to go to a rebuilt Cotten Gin, and have a southern dinner and attend a concert.  It was a total blast.  The band was a total party band, and knew how to make the evening a great time.  Another performer was a lady who sang (mostly) the old school country western type songs, I do not care for this type of music, but she was very good and I enjoyed her as well. The food was awesome, even had 'smores' at various fire pits.










The rendezvous was located at Joe Wheeler Park in AL.  We had to travel 60 miles past the TennTom entrance, therefore we had to travel back through the Wilson Lock again.
Well....
First, there were 20 boats that were in a flotilla to make the trip easier for the lock master.  Second, the winds were up 20 MPH steady and some gusts.  I was the eighth boat to enter the lock, when entering I noticed a boat out of control, and I thought 'dumb ass, get your boat under control'!  Bad thought!  As I entered the lock at the mid point, and crabbing starboard, to get my position, the wind let up took my nose to port, I corrected, but the wind then took my nose hard to starboard.  now, I have no thrusters, and I am a single screw.  So, the wind pushed me perpendicular to where I should be in the lock. Yup, so I thought.... 'dumb ass get YOUR boat under control.  I could not do it, even with the 'Goose' method to get the nose in the correct direction.  Alas, I had to turn and exit the way I entered, and then try again.  I did that and I was secured in the lock.. Others (three) had a difficult time like I did, including the sound of fiberglass cracking while hitting the lock wall.  One vessel took three attempts to enter the lock.
My motto while locking: "Locking, No Wind, No Current, No Problem".

Daisy with a rock in her mouth
(sticks were scarce)
Daisy going for a Dingy ride near the falls


Inside the main state room, looking out.
Not a bad view to wake up to.



We dropped the hook just east of Grand Harbor Marina.  The anchorage was the water falls location.  It was a special location, and Patriot and Blue Willow had a great night (even with a slight swing around the anchor).

Further down on  the TennTom we had another fantastic anchorage.  Sunset, Millions of Stars, the milky way, cool night great sleeping (picture at top)

At Joe Wheeler St Pk.
 L-R.  Last Mango, Vicki, Patroit, De De
No, Daisy is not dead.  But this is her routine, walk, bike, run, swim etc hell YES,
if you guys do nothing.... I'll just lay in the middle, sleep and wait while all of you talk.

Sorry for not blogging, but we had very little internet and phone coverage.

Thanks for taking your time to read this, If you are at work, get back to work.

4 comments:

  1. Vicki I love your new hat ... it suits you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure looks like a blast, apparently you made it through that week of nasty weather that hit the area, I was thinking of you while you weren't blogging :) Nice shot of your boat by the buddy boat, we have a couple that people took of us too, DAMN I MISS THE BOATING COMMUNITY!!!! I miss being with "like minded' people. Will wait here at WORK for your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark, it was so nice meeting you and Jim today at the men's den barbershop. I love hearing about the adventure y'all are on. I am a little jealous though. I hope my husband and I can follow in your wake steps some day. I look forward to seeing you and Vickie post as you travel. Happy boating :) Mary the barber.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary..... Sorry about the late reply. Please make plans to do the loop ASAP. You will never regret the change in lifestyle. Keep commenting.

    ReplyDelete